Summer 2017 Booklists
Visit the Moravian College Bookstore site and search for your section (SE__ __) and course number to see options for renting or purchasing print or digital books. Make sure to cross-reference the books listed here with what is available through the College store to make sure you order all required books.
SEBK820 Jesus and the Gospels in a Global Context
• Aland, Kurt, editor. Synopsis of the Four Gospels. Philadelphia: American Bible Society, 2010.
• Gooder, Paula. Searching for Meaning: An Introduction to Interpreting the New Testament. London, SPCK, 2008.
• Study Bible. Note: Students may choose any Study Bible they would like to use, such as Attridge, Harold W., editor. The HarperCollins Study Bible. Revised and updated ed. New York: Harper One, 2006.
SEFS800 Introduction to Spiritual Direction
• W., & Connolly, W. (2009). The Practice of spiritual direction. New York: HarperOne.
• Bourgeault, C. (2003). The wisdom way of knowing: Reclaiming an ancient tradition to awaken the heart. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
• Bourgeault, C. (2004). Centering prayer and inner awakening. Cambridge, MA: Cowley Publications.
• Phillips, S. (2008). Candlelight: Illuminating the art of spiritual direction. New York: Morehouse.
• Silver, A. (2003). Trustworthy connections: Interpersonal issues in spiritual direction. Cambridge, MA: Cowley Publications.
• Vennard, J. (2005). A praying congregation: the art of teaching spiritual practice. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
SEPC801 Intro to Counseling Internship
• Cooper-White, P. (2011). Many voices: Pastoral psychotherapy in relational and theological perspective, (2nd ed). Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press.
• Palmer, P. (2000). Let your life speak. Listening for the voice of vocation. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
• Sweitzer, H. F. & King, M. A. (2013). The successful internship: Personal, professional and civic development (4th Ed.). Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole.
• Wicks, R. (2006). Simple changes: Overcoming barriers to personal and professional growth. Notre Dame, IN: Sorin Press.
• Kottler, J. (2015). The therapist in the real world: What you never learn in graduate school (but really need to know). New York: Norton.
SEPC842 Addictions and the Family
• Ackerman, R. (2002). Perfect Daughters (Rev. ed.). Deerfield Beach, FL: Health Communications, Inc.
• Ackerman, R. (1994). Silent Sons: A Book for and About Men. New York, NY: Fireside Publishers.
• Bradshaw, John (2005). Healing the Shame that Binds You. Deerfield Beach, FL: HCI, Inc.
• Black, C. (2002). It Will Never Happen to Me: Growing Up with Addictions As Youngsters, Adolescents, Adults. Center City, MN: Hazelden.
• Brown, S. (1999): The Alcoholic Family in Recovery. New York: Guilford Press.
• Essau, C. (2008). Adolescent Addiction: Epidemiology, Assessment, and Treatment. San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
• Sinor, B. (2010). Tales of Addiction and Inspiration for Recovery. Twenty True Stories for the Soul. Ann Arbor, MI: Loving, Healing, Press, Inc.