Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction
Intensive Program (SDIP)
Available to both local and distance students, our Spiritual Direction Intensive Program (SDIP) is a one-year (10-credit) program designed for those who have training in contemplative listening in a sister discipline (e.g., counseling) or who already have a Spiritual Direction certificate and are seeking more training. Students in the SDIP program take five courses over three semesters, participate in two Wisdom School Retreats, meet with 2-5 directees, and receive peer and individual supervision.
Applicants typically will have:
- at least 2 years of experience in a ministry that requires deep contemplative listening;
- at least 2 years of contemplative practice/training;
- at least 1 year of receiving monthly spiritual direction;
- an interview with the director of the Spiritual Direction Graduate Certificate program.
“Spiritual direction encourages an honest look at what grace illumines. It affirms that God is in our lives and hearts and can be encountered” (Susan Phillips). Individual spiritual direction supports the on-going spiritual and psychological growth that is needed to become a spiritual director. As a student in the Spiritual Direction Graduate Certificate Intensive, you are required to have at least 1-year experience of receiving monthly spiritual direction and to continue in monthly individual spiritual direction throughout the Intensive Certificate program. (The fee for spiritual direction is contracted privately between the student and their spiritual director and is the responsibility of the student.)
Throughout the program, you will engage with the Formative Spirituality director and team in a process of careful, mutual discernment to uncover your call and aptitude for the ministry of spiritual direction. Following are the prerequisites to the practicum courses:
- Clear background checks;
- Understanding and signed acceptance of the Spiritual Directors International (SDI) Code of Ethics;
- Letter of reference from your current spiritual director;
- Interview with the Formative Spirituality director;
- Evidence of call and aptitude for the ministry of spiritual direction.